On February 2010 WordPress.org released their first Android app on Google Play titled WordPress for Android that could be used to manage and edit your WordPress blog. It had limited functionality at that time and just like every new software it was full of bugs. Its 2013 and through continued development by dedicated open source coders, the application has evolved to the feature stuffed WordPress for Android 2.2.5 version that is user friendly, fast, and one of the highest rated app on the Google Play. WordPress is the most popular blogging platform in existence and android is the most popular mobile device operating system present today. A combination of two gives the users a completely new blogging experience.
WordPress + Smartphones = A new revolution
As per statistics from IDC (Link idc.com) there are more than a billion mobile subscriptions active in the world and there are more than 1500 million smartphones shipped by all phone manufactures combined. On the other hand more than 17% of web pages present on the internet are made on WordPress. That’s more than 60 million websites using WordPress. So what happens when we combined the two? We get a WordPress application for android phones that you can use to edit, create, or approve posts, comments, and images, and that has been downloaded and installed more than a million times. This shows the popularity of both WordPress and Android Smartphones.
Features of WordPress for Android 2.2.5
So the question comes, what exactly you can do with this app? Before we can start with the answer the first thing to note is that the app works only with Android 2.1 (Éclair) or higher and the site to be worked upon should be using WordPress 3.0 or higher. So without taking more time we present the major uses of WordPress for Android 2.2.5. The main use of the app is for configuring and managing one or multiple blogs. To achieve this, starting from version 1.0, there were many features introduced to the app in the subsequent versions
- Posts pages and comments
- You can create, edit and from version 1.2.1 even delete Posts and features of the posts such as categories, tags and photos.
- Similarly you can create, edit and delete Pages.
- While adding a post or page you can select multiple categories to tag the post with. (From version 1.1)
- Comment moderation and replying to a comment was available from 1.0 itself. But version 1.3 introduced the feature to moderate multiple comments at once with the special bulk editor and version 2.1 added the feature to edit a comment.
- Upload multiple drafts at the same time (From version 1.0.1)
- Add a new category from the app while writing a post or page.(From version 1.1)
- Add a Post signature, i.e. few lines that will be posted automatically at the end of every post you publish (From version 1.2.1)
- Version 1.3 introduced a new visual text editor specifically to create and write text that provides basic styling features such as bold, italics, underline, strike through, etc.
- Set the publish date and time of a post through the app along with editing the publish date and time of previous posts. (From version 1.4)
- The post is Auto saved after every 60 seconds (From version 1.4). You can even add a password to a post such that only registered users of the blog can view it. You can add or remove passwords of existing posts also. (From version 2.2)
- Geo tagging support for a post is also available in the app.
- Media, images and videos
- Adding an image to a post was available from the first version itself. However version 1.1 added the feature of directly clicking an image and then adding it to a post or media gallery right from the Android device.
- An image of any size could be added to the gallery and you can link the full-sized image to an image thumbnail (From version 1.1). In addition you can also link the thumbnail to an custom sized image instead of the full sized image (From version 2.1)
- Just like images you can record a video from the Android device and then add it to the post. You can also add a video from your device gallery (From version 1.2).
- Newer versions of WordPress and many themes based on them have a feature called Featured Images. Through this your post or page is represented by an image you like. The app allows you to add, remove these featured images.
- Along with above mentioned features, WordPress for Android notifies you about every new comment in the Android notification bar. And from version 1.1 you can even customize the notifications by selecting the notification type. You can set the notification to play a sound, vibrate, or blink notification lights upon getting a new comment.
- You can create a new WordPress.com blog through a special button in the new account view of the Android app.
- You can even view the statistics of you blog, such as view counts and number of posts and comments, right from your device through this app.
- You can even follow your favorite blogs through a special reader.
- The app has been localized for many languages such as English, German, French, Finnish, Indonesian, Slovak, and Thai
As said above, WordPress is hugely popular. In this new mobile world it was inevitable that we get a WordPress application to manage our WordPress blogs. The application lives up to the WordPress name and is just as easy to use and fast to work with. A must have Android app for bloggers.